Town Walk in Ringkøbing | Hvidesande

Town Walk in Ringkøbing

The regularity of the medieval street grid in the town centre is striking.

The main street Algade from Østerport to the Square ( Torvet ) is crossed by four narrow streets, which with a slightly curved course stand perpendicularly with the fjord coast.

At the ends they are connected by Nørregade and Søndergade. Print the Guide here and bring it with our your trip to Ringkøbing.

The Plesner town

The 'Plesner' Town

The town with the red-brick houses, tiled roofs, and white cornices

Art in Ringkøbing

Art in Ringkøbing

Art thrives - in many ways 

In Ringkøbing the streets named after the four corners of the world

In Ringkøbing the streets named after the four corners of the world, funny enough creates a frame around the town, while they in other towns normally indicate the approach roads. The streets between Østergade - Ø. Strandgade and Vestergade - V. Strandgade were called connecting streets e.g. Vester Mellem Strandgade ( Vester connecting Strandgade ), but evidently this was too difficult, so in the 17th century they were called connecting streets e.g. Vester Mellem Strandgade ( Vester connecting Strandgade ), but evidently this was too difficult, so in the 17th century they were given new names: Grønnegade, Smedegade, Nygade and Mellemgade.

The street grid not expand beyond the town centre until after the new highways, Herning and Holstebrovej was established in the 1840s. In 1875 the railway opened. The area between the town centre and the railway station was built on in the end of the 17th century and at the same time ribbon building sprang up along Herningvej.